Re: Amorphophallus 2nd flowering

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus 2nd flowering
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter@worldonline.nl>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:31:36 -0600 (CST)

And here am I thinking I know a thing or two about them phalloids....... My
explanation is that your tuber is SO big, it may have developed a second,
subdominant apical (do you need more of those words.....?) bud, that
obviously was also induced to flower but emerged later than the dominant
one. How's THAT for a fairy tale?

Nonetheless I think there may be a bit of truth in it. One question though:
does the second inflorescencence emerge from the base of the leaf (in it's
axil), or is it slightly distant from that base? In the first case, you
really have a case of overactivity in the flowering department, in the
second case, my explanation goes!

Happy growin'

Wilbert Lord P.