Re: [aroid-l] speaking of movies (was: The Orchid Thief)

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] speaking of movies (was: The Orchid Thief)
  • From: hermine hermine@endangeredspecies.com
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 09:47:19 -0800

>>You are not alone.  I find it a bit inconguous to be watching a movie set
in
the tropics, or the eastern US, and hear Pacific tree frogs in the
background.<<

Or the calls of Indian peacocks in Africa, or chimp calls in S.American
jungle, and blow-guns set in Africa, or American Sabal Palms in Asia (Forest
Gump).
It has been a bane of mine from youth.   You all are NOT alone.

Julius

BOTANICAL INACCURACIES have been a source of much grief to me in my entire life! the standard jungle bird call for years was the Kookaburra! I can't STAND IT!

On the other hand, in my Sansevieria life, i constantly am aware of their appearance in films, and once wanted to write movie reviews based ONLY upon the appearance of a well grown potful. Last night on NYPD Blue, i saw a magnificent spider plant, such as one sees only in windows in Brooklyn.
The last Tarzan movie with Bo Derek infuriated both plant and animal people alike. showing both together, native to no known land mass.

Another thing is the game, GUESS THIS LOCATION for various habitats. the Philippines was a stand-in for lots of Viet Nam movies.

When these matters are not driving me mad, COSTUME INACCURACIES drive me mad.

hermine