RE: [Aroid-l] Mini rant right back at ya.

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Mini rant right back at ya.
  • From: "Harry Witmore" <harrywitmore@witmore.net>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 10:43:18 -0500

I do not think there is anyone that doesn't want people to correctly label
their plants. But, if one receives a plant from a nursery that is mislabeled
it is very easy for that same person to mislabel it on eBay with that same
label. Who is at fault then? What if the plant name changes? I think intent
is the main consideration here. If one is misrepresenting a plant or
anything else for that manner, to make a  undeserved monetary gain, that's
one thing, but just because they call it rare and some folks don't consider
it to be rare, that is something else all together.

I sell a lot of plants and I have sold some and received some with incorrect
names. Most of the time I have a hard time even finding out what the correct
name is (try naming the different speices of Dischidia sometime). I have
been to shows where even the experts misidentify things but it does not make
me think they are a fraud. I believe this is a valid discussion but most of
the time it is up to the buyer to make sure they know what it is they are
buying and to not buy from that person again is they misrepresent what they
are selling. They should also give them a bad rating if not satisfied. I
think that is all that is required because that's the only way to tell the
frauds from the honest.

You have the exact same situation with brick and mortar sellers but do not
have the advantage of being able to post comments about them where all can
see them. I think this is a very positive thing about eBay and I use it all
the time. Good thing is that you can't gripe if you aren't a customer, so
folks that just want to cast stones are not able to do that unless they have
personal knowledge of such.

I'm sorry to be so long winded on this but I have found it to be very easy
to tell the frauds from the legit and I would expect all to have the same
experience. If you are going to buy something on eBay you better do your
homework and not let scams take advantage of you. This thread began by
discussing subtle differences of opinion on rarity or the meaning of other
descriptive adjectives. I do not believe it was talking of what I would call
a scam.