Re: Arum hygrophilum

  • Subject: Re: Arum hygrophilum
  • From: James Waddick <jwaddick@kc.rr.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 15:11:14 -0600

On Nov 11, 2013, at 11:58 AM, DAVID LEEDY <djleedy@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

I am interested in the experiences of others, particularly with hygrophyllum and, maybe, rupicola.

Dear David and all,
I have grown Arum hygrophilum (note spelling?) in the Kansas City metro area for upwards of 10 years. This is a Zone 5/6 location with extended droughts and low rainfall. Although we have already had a couple nights of 15 F the foliage remains undamaged. Colder nights are expected and some more foliage damages, too.  It recovers in spring  and blooms regularly. In short reliable and hardy here.

This spring I planted some tubers of Arum creticum after years of thinking they were too tender. I saw a single plant in bloom in a garden just north of Wichta, KS and was inspired. So far the foliage is just emerging and remains undamaged. Fingers firmly crossed.

I have a plant labelled rupicola which survives here, but I have doubts to ID and must compare to Peter Boyce’s book one of these bloom seasons.

Hope this helps.  Jim W.

James Waddick
8871 NW Brostrom Rd
Kansas City, MO 64152-2711