Re: Arum cyrenaicum

  • Subject: Re: Arum cyrenaicum
  • From: DAVID LEEDY <djleedy@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 09:58:29 -0800 (PST)

Title: Arum cyrenaicum
Hi Don,

That should work.  They will take freezing weather and show no effect down to the mid twenties, but below that I have doubts.

Last year I had some Arum pictum seedlings (Majorica form) and it was suggested that if I brought them inside with a maximum high temperature of 70 - 75 degrees F., they would get a full year's growth.  Sure enough they did, I have planted them in my Arum garden, and they are now starting to put out nearly mature leaves.

This is my first year for growing many of these Arum and A. hygrophyllum has come up in abundance near the front of the garden, where it gets the most rain.  However, I am told that this particular Arum is a little more fragile than most and will show damage from a hard freeze.  We are expecting our first freeze Wednesday night, although I doubt that it will get much below 30 degrees F. in my garden.   In December, however, we usually experience a period of lows in the 20's (last year, 22 degrees F.).

I am interested in the experiences of others, particularly with hygrophyllum and, maybe, rupicola.

Another species with which I had some problem due to the cold last year was A. byzantinum.  I planted it in the garen (instead of a container) and noticed it is now up bigger than last year.   Does anyone have experience with this species visa vie freezing weather?

David Leedy