[Aroid-l] greenhouse

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] greenhouse
  • From: "MJ Hatfield" <mjhatfield@oneota.org>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 16:38:43 -0500

Folks,

I’ve sent these questions to several of you individually who offered help before I saw the request to post them on list.

Since two of you asked that the answers to my greenhouse questions be posted to the list, perhaps we should.

I hope the other folks on this list aren’t bored with this.

Here are some of my first, VERY BASIC, questions.

1. What temperature range would be “ideal” for a majority of Aroids, 65-85F?

2. Should I have a different temperature range for night?

3. Keep the air moving of course.

4. Humidity can’t be too high can it?

5. Direct sun? I am nestled in amongst trees on the east side and the north side and when the sun sinks lower in the sky I will have some south shade as well and in the far west I have more trees. (This was the ONLY spot level enough without trees to even put a greenhouse and it’s in my front yard.) I think that I can put many plants under the tables holding other plants so that they will get more shade. I hate to think of immediately covering the inside of the greenhouse with shade cloth but I don’t want to scorch them either.

6. I grow mostly Amorphophallus and in the past have put the dormant tubers either in the basement (55F) or other places in the house (65-70F) Can they stay in the heat of the greenhouse when dormant? I would assume yes they can.

7. I also have some Dracontiums, Pseudodracontiums, Anthuriums, Philodendrons, ferns, Brugmansias, common ordinary house plants, cacti, and such.

I do realize a lot of this will be trial and error for specific my site and weather and it would have been nice to have the greenhouse up earlier than this so I could experiment a bit. But when the plants come in they will all have to come in due to outside dropping temperatures.

8. Do you have a favorite greenhouse book to recommend?

Thanks to you.

MJ Hatfield

Ps. It may be taking a bit longer than one week to finish up this greenhouse. Nothing ever goes quite as planned.