RE: [Aroid-l] unknown Xanthostoma with purple coloring

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] unknown Xanthostoma with purple coloring
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 21:42:44 +0000

From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>
To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 13:14:57 +0000

Dear Eduardo and Friends,

I am still off-line with major house repairs, so am replying to this one from a friend`s home.
The Caladium 'excalibur' is probably, as Eduardo suggests, a C. cf. picturatum, probably collected in Cuyabueno, Amazoniun Ecuador years ago by folks on a trip taken there by a good friend of mine.
The only difference is the one from Cuyabueno usually has a purple spot on the upper side of the leaf blade where the petiole attaches, but this distinctive 'spot' may have been 'lost' in tissue culture. Another possibility is one collected inAmazoniun Brazil years ago by another good friend near an airport, this one usually has very faint spotting visible on the leaf blades, and was being sold at the recent aroid show in Miami.
I hoipe this info helps, and also hope to be back on line in a week or so!

Good Growing,

Julius

Dear Eric,

To me, your purplish Xanthosoma is one of the many forms of Xanthosoma atrovirens. I have also seen a reddish form ("morada") and the regular blackish form.
The "Colocasia" excalibur is, for sure, a Caladium, probably from the group of Caladium picturatum. Julius, is this the one you brought from Trinidad?

Very best wishes,

Eduardo.

Dr. Eduardo G. Goncalves
Universidade Catolica de Brasilia