Re: I need information on Amorphophallus Paeonifolius -any experts out there?

  • Subject: Re: I need information on Amorphophallus Paeonifolius -any experts out there?
  • From: "Russell Coker" <cokerra@bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:33:24 -0500

Ken, actually I agree with you completely (damp + cold = mush).

That's why I suggested withholding water and ease the plant into dormancy
when the weather begins to cool.  I understand that this will be more
important later when the plant reaches an unmanageable size.  My original
tuber went from being a three gallon pot sized plant to something that looks
like a green picnic table umbrella in 2 seasons.  If my plants were in pots
instead of the ground I have no idea where I'd be putting them to extend the
growing season since I don't have a greenhouse.  They don't exactly fit in
the kitchen window.

As for Ty's frost, we had our first last night with a low of 34 degrees.
That's record breaking for us.  My plants in the ground still look like July
as they are under a live oak canopy - but who knows for how long.

And wouldn't it be nice (and helpful) if people writing this wonderful list
would tell where they are and provide their climate zone when they share
their experiences and/or ask for advice?

Russell Coker
Mobile, AL  zn8b