Re: Dracontium amazonense

  • Subject: Re: Dracontium amazonense
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 20:36:14 +0000

Dear Vincent and Scott,

Some species of tuberous aroids, even in genera such as Amorphophallus, Dracontium and Arisaema, in which  most species in GENERAL go dormant, have species which grow in perpetually ''wet'' areas, these do no NEED to go dormant.  Let the species name ''amazonense'' tip you off!   There seldom is a dry period in the Amazon region where this species occurs naturally!   There are a few other species of Dracontium (D. spruceanum comes to mind) which can be grown year-long with no dormant period.  One can ''force'' dormancy by letting the pot dry out, but most growers would not recomend this.  The late Lynn Hannon was one who had them grow all year, keeping them moist.

Good Growing,

Julius

Julius