Re: Cold Tolerant Amporhs

  • Subject: Re: Cold Tolerant Amporhs
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@gizmoworks.com>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 15:31:26 -0500 (CDT)

T. venosum also grows well outdoors here (NW Arkansas, zone 6) and has for
many years, at least the normal form. (I've got a couple of big seed heads
ripening at the moment, so something pollinates it, too.)

I have only one of the "giant" forms, and I haven't tried it outdoors yet.

Orontium is native over a huge part of the eastern and northeastern US
(and actually makes it into Arkansas, like Peltandra, though not in my
area). I've never grown it, but given where it occurs it must surely be
fairly hardy.