Re: Dracontium pittieri pictures

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Dracontium pittieri pictures
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 09:45:18 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Wilbert Hetterscheid <hetter@worldonline.nl>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Saturday, September 16, 2000 10:59 AM

> Hmmmm...
>
> Never been particularly inspired by tuberous terrestrial aroids
> (Amorphophallus aficionados, please feel free to spontaneously combust
right
> about here) -

>Could somebody of the moderators get this man OFF the list
IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!
Listen, you censor this group or you don't but this one must have slipped
through..........right? Tell me I am right!! PLEASE!!!!<

I guess it just must have slipped through them, oh Lord Pr--oops, I meant
Lord Phallus, of course!

>but the spathe on this baby is "Bo-koo Zoo-perb"!

>O.k., that's a mild consolation.....

> To those "in the know" - is this a fair example of D. pittieri -
>or is it an atypically gorgeous specimen. If the former, may
>consider jostling my Anthurium pots a tad to make room for one.

>As Julius has rightly written, to my mind, we are talking D. gigas here.
However, I must admit that the spathe inside is really much more red than in
my plant. So, is there a slight chance that this is an accidentally
SHORT-pedunculate pittieri??? Does D. pittieri have such a red
spathe-inside? Hey, Guanghua, get off your ... and help us out here!!!!!<

It does seem VERY red, almost like a 'ceramic'-textured surface, but perhaps
this may be caused by the film or camera used?   Perhaps we should contact
th garden and ask someone there??

I am certain that this is D. gigas, and not D. pittieri, as the former has a
rounded top or apex of its spathe, while D. pittieri has an acute or more
pointed apex to its spathe, and the height of the white markings on the
bottom/inside of the spathe are distinctive.

>Wilbert (climbing aroids' worst nightmare!)<

Cheers,

Julius