OT: thank you all for your concern

  • Subject: OT: thank you all for your concern
  • From: Piabinha@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 21:32:35 -0500 (CDT)

dear friends,

i just wanted to say thanks to all who have written, privately or otherwise,
to express their concern and sympathy.

i'm at home now after our offices closed down.  fortunately i do not work
anywhere near the financial district, as i have in the past.  this
morning, the day started out really nicely, with beautiful, blue, clear
skies.  when i was going to work, however, our train got stuck in the tunnel
and the conductor announced "believe it or not, an airplane has crashed into
the world trade center, therefore we are experiencing congestion ahead."
when our train pulled over the manhattan bridge, there was a collective gasp
as we could see closely both towers of the WTC burning, one was burning at
the top, whereas the other was more than half in flames.  it was not to be
believed.  i wondered at that time how were people trying to evacuate those
buildings.  after we arrived at union square, i overheard some passengers
that had fled the downtown area talk about hearing and seeing the explosions,
and the ensuing chaos to evacuate the area.  only then i heard that two
planes, not only one, had crashed into the towers, and that must have been
right before we crossed the bridge.  later when i got to work, we saw the
towers collapsing on tv.  it's hard to imagine that two buildings over 100
stories tall could be destroyed so quickly.

the downtown area is still totally engulfed in smoke.  i had to take a
different subway line to get home since several lines are not running.  as i
crossed prospect park in this clear and beautiful day, it felt deceptively
placid and idyllic, except for the enormous cloud of smoke in the horizon and
the smell of burning in the air.  i'm still rather numb and in shock.

thank you again for all that have written.  may we find peace in these
difficult times.

tsuh yang chen, nyc, USA