Re: [aroid-l] Funny Amorphohallus titanum leaf

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Funny Amorphohallus titanum leaf
  • From: "Petra Schmidt" petra@plantdelights.com
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 11:57:16 -0400

Tissue culture - aha! - could be a factor in this baby leaf formation?  I've
grown Amorph. titanum from seed and from tissue culture plantlets and the
root system looks different for the first growing season or two...tissue
culture plantlets don't develop typical tubers but produce masses of roots
the first season; the typical tuber usually doesn't take shape until the
second growing season...it is amazing to see the "tubers" at the end of the
first season, anything from rock hard little nuggets to thin flat disks to
nubs of callus with whiskers of root hairs.  Another thing I've noticed is
that t.c. plantlets grown out in ground beds form tubers faster (and of more
typical shape) than plantlets grown out indoors in pots although ones grown
indoors in pots have more top growth (i.e. leaf and petioles are larger)...
Petra