Re: [aroid-l] A. kiusianus germination

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] A. kiusianus germination
  • From: "Harry Witmore" harrywitmore@witmore.net
  • Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 12:55:14 -0400

Since I was the source of the seeds let me explain exactly why they were not
sent in berry. All I sent them to have already heard it but if you have
small children or even grandchildren (I got these), you will be interested.
I had quite a few if these berries, 60 I guess. I took about half for myself
and offered the rest to the group. I cleaned and soaked mine per Petra's
advice and left the rest to ripen in place.

I decided it was time to offer the rest because they all seemed ripe. I sent
out the note and got a great response. So, my plan was to go out Monday
morning and begin to send them out. I left them to be picked Monday.
Grandkids came over Sunday and played in the garden while I made supper.

I went out Monday to pick the berries. To my surprise they had all succumbed
to finger blight and were no where to be seen. As they day go brighter I
went back out and began scanning the ground for seeds, berries, anything I
could find. I began to locate seeds that had already been extracted from the
berries. I collected about 15 of these. The more I searched I began to find
a large number of berries buried in the ground close to the parent plant.
They were all intact and I saved these for the folks that wanted them
outside the US. I washed the others and packed them in sphagnum. I shipped
them out as soon as I got addresses.

They never had a chance to dry out since it had rained Sunday night. Turns
out the grandkids had so much fun with me planting 4 o'clock seeds they
decided to expand and these Amorph berries were too tempting and they
squeezed some out on the ground and the rest they dug a hole and 'planted'

So if you have young kids around make sure you protect yourself from this
kind of 'finger blight'.

Harry Witmore
Cloud Jungle Art
www.witmore.net <http://www.witmore.net>