Re: [aroid-l] A. kiusianus germination

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] A. kiusianus germination
  • From: "Petra Schmidt" petra@plantdelights.com
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 10:17:30 -0400

We've all discussed this many times before, Randy, well, maybe moreso on the
arisaema-l list group than on aroid-l, but the water soak works just as well
with amorphs than it does with arisaemas.  The key is collecting the berries
as soon as they ripen and soaking them in water to break down the seed
coat/inhibitors, and making sure the seeds are clean when sown.  Seeds are
sown inside in a propagation house here at PDN.
Expect longer germination periods if the seeds/berries are sent to you,
meaning, these are usually not as fresh and have already begun drying off.
That's not a problem at all in most cases; most will germinate within a few
months or longer.  Much easier to collect, soak, and clean them right away
which you can do only if you have the plants in your own collection to work
Keep us posted on the germination methods you use...