Re: Dracunculus

  • Subject: Re: Dracunculus
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@gizmoworks.com>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 01:02:13 -0500 (CDT)

I've grown Dracunculus vulgaris outdoors here in NW Arkansas, US, for more
than 20 years and it's been surviving on its own in this area for at least
70 years. Doesn't spread on it's own, but established plants seem to be
very tough and survive lots of abuse.

During the time I've grown it, we've had a few -28 C overnight lows and
many +38 C summer days. I don't give it any extra water in summer or mulch
or other protection in winter, but I get inflorescences and seeds every
year. Usually it flowers around the first of June here.

It always comes up earlier here than it should, usually in late February,
and so has to survive a number of hard frosts. My unscientific observation
is that any temperature down to about -6 C will not permanently harm the
foliage, as long as it warms up during the day, but lower temperatures
(such as the disastrous Easter freeze of 2007, which went to -9 C on two
consecutive April nights after weeks of warm weather) will cause serious,
though not fatal, damage.

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, Sheldon Hatheway wrote:

> Don't know about yours.  There seems to be some variability in these
> plants.  The only experience I've had with Dracunculus is with the ones
> I have in the garden.  They are all from the same clone that I
> originally rescued from a deteriorating landscape back in the early 80s.
> The lady who owned the property said she had gotten it about 20+ years
> earlier.  Mine emerge in late winter/early spring, grow to about 3' tall
> by mid-summer when they flower.  They begin to die back in early fall.
> Aside from mulching with some grass clippings during the summer, I don't
> do anything to them.
> Sheldon Hatheway
> Canby OR

-- Steve Marak