Re: Spathicarpa question

  • Subject: Re: Spathicarpa question
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:48:50 +0000

________________________________
> From: crogers@ecoanalysts.com
> To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
> Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 11:00:34 -0700
> Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Spathicarpa question

Dear Friends,

I THINK I recall Dr. Eduardo Goncalves saying that this genus occured in areas that are seasonal wet, then become very dry and parched , so going dormant for a while in the time of its original summer season (Oct.to Jan-Feb.??) might be ''natural'' for this plant.
I used to grow three species/forms of this--- S. hastifolia, S. sagittifolia and the variagated one with lanceolate leaves.   It certainly is a wonderful, easy to grow little gem of an aroid.  The inflorescence always reminded me of a woman`s diamond tennis-type bracelet!   A photo of a bloom in Deni Bown`s first edition shows exactly what I mean.

Good Growing.

Julius