Re: Aquatic aroids, algae problem

  • Subject: Re: Aquatic aroids, algae problem
  • From: cyndikrall@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 12:15:37 -0400

I would NOT try antibiotics. They don't work on all types of algae, and will seriously mess with your water chemistry and your fishes health unnecessarily. It looks almost like a brush red brush algae. This might mean your pH or carbonate hardness is too high. When i had black brush algae, I took the affected plants out, sprayed them BIREFLY with hydrogen peroxide, rinsed them off VERY well, and then put them intoa  quarantine tank for a couple months. It took a while and the plants looked like h*ll for a long time, but the algae died off and the plants recovered. I have a very heavily planted 180 gallon freshwater tank.
Siamese algae eaters MAY eat it, but I have 4 and they never touched it (but mine are spoiled and eat mostly blood worms.) ;-)