Re: soil sterilizers

The electric soil sterilizer is commonly called a 'crock pot'. They used
to be very popular so you may find one stored somewhere around the house.
If not, Kmart or Walmart should have them.

You also need a meat thermometer to measure the soil temperature so you
know when to start timing the treatment. Actually the soil shouldn't be
sterilized, rather it should be pasteurized. As I recall, it should be at
180 deg. F. for at least 20 minutes or something like that.

I've used crock pots for years, ever since I nearly got divorced for
smelling up the house with soil in the oven.  I keep the crock pots
safely in the garage where a slight odor is permissible.