RE: Ulearum? Did I imagine the post?

----------
From: 	aroid-l@mobot.org on behalf of Don Burns
Sent: 	Thursday, September 18, 1997 10:59 AM
To: 	ju-bo@msn.com
Subject: 	Re: Ulearum? Did I imagine the post?

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, Steve Marak wrote:

> I thought I saw a reference to Ulearum in a (fairly) recent Aroid-L post,
> but now I can't find it. Did I imagine it?
>
>>No Steve, you did not imagine this.  Julius and I were musing over those
plants that we lust for, he Ulearum and I Culcasia serettii.  Julius has
since acquired a species of Ulearum, but I am not sure which.  C. serettii
continues to elude me.  It is a truly cool aroid.  At a distance it
resembles Nepenthes.

Julius, tell us how your Ulearum is doing.

Don<<

Dear Don and Steve (and all friends),
The Ulearum sagittatum(?) that I recently received in trade arrived in great
looking condition; it is a portion of rhizome with branches and perhaps three
growth points.  It is aprox. 5 cm in thickness, 8 cm long, branched, and looks
like a cattleya orchid would look with it`s pseudobulbs removed at their
bases!
I potted it up in a "jungle mix", and because of its shape one of the growth
points is near/on the surface, and this one is SLOWLY developing a spike that
points upwards.  It is cryptically colored, and I expect it to start
thickening and hopefully for a leaf to emerge in the near future.  No sign of
anything from the other points that are presently underground..
This is one that I`ve "lusted" after for years, others are Spathicarpella and
Bognera (which used to be Filarum?) and don`t ask why these relatively non
discript little plants hold such a fascination for me!
On another front, don`t ring the bells or beat the drum JUST yet, but it
certainly LOOKS like the two spadices of the smaller blooms of my Lasiomorpha
senegalensis which I pollenated with pollen from the earlier and much larger
bloom, are developing fruit!!!  I`ll keep you all informed, as I don`t know if
anyone else has produced seed of this in cultivation as yet.
For those of us who have not seen this water dweller, there are photos on our
aroid pages.  In the Genera of Araceae long list  under "Lasiomorpha", and
recently David Scherberich posted photos #134 a, b, c, and d in the I.D.
section.  By the way, I believe that I posted a note to Aroid-l giving the
I.D. of these plant photos, was it posted?  I don`t remember seeing it.
Thats all for now.  Good growing!!
Julius
ju-bo@msn.com