RE: Political Action Committee Manhattan Community Board 4 Platform f or Parks

Here's the document pasted for folks who can't open word:
Manhattan Community Board No. 4
Waterfront and Parks Committee

Platform for Parks 2001

Community Board 4 serves the neighborhoods of Chelsea and Clinton on the
west side of Manhattan between 14th and 59th streets. Although we have
85,000 residents in 700 acres of dense city blocks, we have only 3 parks and
11 pocket parks or playgrounds, totaling about 16 acres. Of the 59 community
boards in New York City, Board 4 ranks third from the bottom in terms of
open space. We have less than 1/5 of an acre of open space per 1,000
residents, compared to a citywide average or 2-1/2 acres per thousand.

With the Hudson River Park under construction, that statistic will
thankfully improve. However, our inland parks are still too few and in many
cases, in need of financial support and better maintenance. The following
platform for parks lists some general citywide efforts we would like to see
implemented in the next mayoral administration, as well as park needs in our
district that must be addressed if the residents of Chelsea and Clinton are
to be well served.

CITYWIDE
One Percent for Parks
Community Board 4 supports One Percent for Parks, a campaign to dedicate a
greater share of the city budget to the Parks Department for both capital
and expense needs. Currently, Parks' share of the budget is just 4/10 of a
percent. Board 4 demands that the next administration make a greater
commitment to open space in our community by restoring the Parks Department
Budget.
A 1997 report by the Independent Budget Office to The Parks Council notes
that public spending on parks has dropped significantly over the ten-year
period from 1987 to 1996, by 31 percent in inflation-adjusted terms, from
$218 million in 1987 to $151 million in 1996. Meanwhile, private spending in
parks has more than tripled over the same period, with groups such as the
Central Park Conservancy, the Bryant Park Restoration Corporation and the
Riverside Park Fund contributing millions towards the improvement of large
city parks.
However, developing a cash-endowed constituency for smaller parks, such as
the few in our district, is not possible.
Recreational funding has also plummeted, by 65 percent in that same 10-year
period. And while the city has kept parks cleaner using WEP workers, those
workers cannot perform many repair and maintenance duties, and the welfare
list is dropping, making less workers available for parks.

Parks staffing
Each park in our district should have a full-time, on-site park keeper to
address constituents concerns, provide security and perform routine
maintenance of that park alone.
Funding must also be directed towards full-time gardeners, maintenance
workers, PEP officers, as well as seasonal aides and playground associates
for the summer.

Requirement contracts
All of our parks require some small capital investment to make minor
repairs, such as replacing a swing, painting bathrooms, fixing water
fountains. We ask that the next administration increase the funding for
requirements contracts, so the Parks Department can maintain the parks in
the best fashion.
Funding must also be dedicated to Green Thumb community garden support and
pruning for street trees.

HUDSON RIVER PARK
Additional financing
To date, the state and the city have promised $100 million each to build the
park. The current financing plan puts the total cost at $330 million. The
Board would like to see commitments from both the state and the city for the
balance of the bill. We do not want design or construction schedules held up
due to a failure of political will for the park.

More acreage for Clinton Cove Park
The original waterfront park planned by the Hudson River Park Conservancy
for Clinton Cove, from 52nd to 57th streets, included green space on 10-acre
footprint of the current headhouse for Pier 94, now leased by the
Unconvention Center. However, the Hudson River Park legislation left this
parcel out of the park. As a result, northern Clinton was left with a
four-acre park north of 54th Street only.
Board 4 supports the community in its pursuit of a better solution for
Clinton. At the very least, the board would like to recover the northern
stub of the head house for public space, an addition of two acres. This
should be able to be realized without a significant change in use of the
headhouse for the Unconvention Center.

Removal of municipal uses
Currently the MTA parks buses on Pier 57, the Police Department stores towed
cars at Pier 76 and the Department of Sanitation parks garbage trucks and
stores sand at Pier 97 and the Gansevoort Peninsula. The Board expects the
next mayoral administration to put solutions to these uses on a fast track.
While the Sanitation Department has begun planning for a new inland garage,
more effort must be taken to relocate the other uses as soon as possible so
park planning can begin. Special attention must be given to demolishing the
extinct incinerator on the Gansevoort Peninsula, one of the largest park
areas in southern Chelsea and the Village.

Resolution of commercial leases
Several commercial leases must be resolved in order for park planning to
continue. At Pier 63, planning must take place immediately to ensure that
Basketball City's commercial lease is not renewed beyond December 2002.
Resolution must be found with Circle Line/World Yacht parking areas in order
to free up the upland area of Pier 81 and 83. And again, a better solution
must be found with the Unconvention Center at Pier 94 in order to add more
acreage to Clinton Cove Park. The parkland there, the only large span north
of 42nd Street, has been reduced from an original plan for 8 upland acres to
2.

Pedestrian bridges
While one bridge is planned to cross Route 9A at 46th Street to the Intrepid
Museum, state Department of Transportation originally included another in
its budget for our board area. So this funding does not fall through the
cracks, the Board suggests that plans be made to secure public space on both
sides of the highway, especially in northern Clinton either at DeWitt
Clinton Park or 57th Street for the bridge. Access to the park at its
northern end must be improved, especially at the highly trafficked
intersections.

COMMUNITY BOARD 4 INLAND PARKS
New parkland
The Board has pursued, but not secured, two potential sites for new
parkland. The first, at 49th Street and 10th Avenue, is currently held by
the Department of Environmental Protection for construction of the Third
Water Tunnel. We ask that a new mayoral administration take action on this
parcel, and execute a transfer of the property to the Parks Department for
future development as an annex for Hell's Kitchen Park.

The MTA has indicated in the past that it will have no use for the Ninth
Avenue frontage of its Rail Control Center Project between 53rd and 54th
streets. The Board has asked the MTA to consider dedicating this space to
the Parks Department, and asks the next mayoral administration to pursue
this possibility.

Chelsea Park
While the Tenth Avenue side of this park has undergone a successful
renovation, the Ninth Avenue frontage is in dire need of an overhaul.
Currently used mostly by a homeless population, the paved plaza is poorly
planned and maintained, and requires a careful consideration of fencing,
usage, flow and additional green space. Consideration must also be given to
the users of the Department of Health Building on the site.

DeWitt Clinton Park
The Board would like to see funding secured for a tot-lot at the southeast
corner of the park to replace an underutilized paved area. There are plans
directly across the street for new affordable housing currently underway.

Hell's Kitchen Park
This is one of the larger parks in Clinton, but it is in desperate need of
an overhaul. Currently used for some active recreation, it is a maze of
walls and benches, which foster unfriendly uses. We ask that a future
administration put this park on a list of capital projects immediately.

Chelsea Recreation Center
This site, currently owned by the Parks Department, was abandoned years ago
by a decimated Parks Department budget. The borough president and local
elected officials are currently investigating ways to resurrect plans for
this center, which would be well used by the residents of Chelsea,
especially those in the Fulton Houses and the Elliot Chelsea Houses.
We ask that a new administration give serious attention to making this
project a reality.

59th Street Recreation Center
Boards 4 and 7 are currently in a planning process for the Rec Center,
started by a 10-year-old commitment of private funding as part of a
restricted dec for a development site on West End Avenue. While the joint
committee has yet to reach a conclusion, the Board would like to see a
greater effort on the park of the city to restore and redevelop this site.
Other recreation centers in the city have received capital improvements and
are gems within their community. While there is a large constituency for
this center, including residents of the Amsterdam Houses, the city has left
it to decay.
We ask that the next mayoral administration dedicate city dollars to this
project, and look for inventive ways to create a state-of-the-art community
center at this location.

COMMUNITY BOARD 4 PARKS AND PLAYGROUNDS
Hudson River Park
14th Street to 59th Street at Route 9A

Chelsea Waterside Park (part of Hudson River Park) (2.5 acres)
22nd to 24th streets, 11th Avenue to Route 9A

Chelsea Park (3.9 acres)
9th to 10th avenues, 27th to 28th streets

DeWitt Clinton Park (5.8 acres)
11th to 12th avenues, 52nd to 54th streets

Gertrude Kelly Playground (0.5 acres)
West 17th Street, between 8th and 9th avenues

May Matthews Playground (0.5 acres)
West 45th Street between 9th and 10th avenues

McCaffrey Playground (0.4 acres)
West 43rd Street between 8th and 9th avenues

Gutenberg Playground - New York School of Printing (0.5 acres)
West 49th Street between 9th and 10th avenues

Penn South Playground (0.6 acres)
West 26th Street, between 8th and 9th avenues

Clement Clarke Moore Park (0.5 acres)
Tenth Avenue and 22nd Street

Hell's Kitchen Park (0.6 acres)
Tenth Avenue between 47th and 48th streets

Clinton Community Garden (0.35 acres)
West 48th Street between 9th and 10th avenues

Ramon Aponte Park (0.2 acres)
West 47th Street between 8th and 9th avenues