Re: selling produce from gardens

  • Subject: Re: [cg] selling produce from gardens
  • From: SoleilPaz@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 17:44:54 EDT

In a message dated 04/26/2001 2:31:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
lpreschelquinn@trinitycounty.org writes:

I am wondering about selling things from our community gardens.  We have 2
small gardens that are part of a food security project.  We distribute the
food to the food banks but this year we made plots available to families.
Some folks would like to try selling at the farmer's markets.  Would it be
unfair competition since our lans and water is an in-kind donation?
Any comments?

Hi Lisa,

    Your question exactly mirrors mine. We have no site yet, but is it an
issue if some CG harvested produce would be sold? As we enter into
negotiations with our Parks & Rec Dept, it may be.
    Personally, one of the reasons I want a CG in our community is to
support families in becoming self sufficient and self reliant. Growing one's
own food and selling the rest is an excellent way to supplement incomes. A
great teaching tool for children as well, if this were to be a school
project. Also, I feel it important to support small farmers, the farmer's
markets, and sustainable living in general. Community Gardening can do all
this, and more. In fact, I think of CGing as a possible springboard for
anyone who eventually wants to market garden, just to try it out.
    I'm wondering if there needs to be more stringent rules/controls on
participants if there is gardening for profit going on in a CG. For example,
are there problems with theft?
    Also, what are the specifics? If, say I grew straw flowers in my plot,
then used them for crafts which I then sold at a Christmas Bazaar for my own
profit, would that count?
    I know I've oversimplified this issue. But ya gotta start somewhere....

Soleil Paz Tranquilli
Elk Grove, CA 95624

"The cure for anything is saltwater: Sweat, tears or the sea."   Isak Dinesen

Click here: The Elk Grove Community Garden

Click here: Soleilsgarden