RE: selling produce from gardens

  • Subject: RE: [cg] selling produce from gardens
  • From: "Kerr, Thomas J." <KerrT@missouri.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 18:29:13 -0500

Lisa, Soleil and other would-be market gardeners,
I always say, go for it when it comes to market gardening. The Troost Community Market is in part supported by a couple MO Dept of Ag grants which encourage various aspects of urban marketing for rural and urban growers. The Market is in a region of Kansas City, MIssouri which hasn't seen a successful revitalization in 30 years. Finally we think we've got one and at the center of the efforts is access to fresh fruits and veggies grown (strictly) by local growers. Incidently, all of the arts & craft vendors make their wares locally, and the non-profit tablers provide educational information to our customers. Saturday mornings from 8am-1pm on the NE corner of Linwood and Troost in Midtown Kansas City.

The Troost Community Market is entering a third season. Through efforts by the Food Circles Networking Project, of University of Missouri Outreach and Extension, the Market Committee established relationships with Kansas City Community Gardens' urban growers. These 100-plus growers grow on 25x40 ft plots and some raised beds at the 10 acre urban garden located on the former "Old Ballpark" where the Atheletics played prior to moving to Oakland, and the Monarchs played when they entered the Negro League in 1920.

In the first year, the Troost Community Market had two growers out of those 100-plus who sold side by side of rural farmers. Not only do rural farmers pay for their land in taxes, they drive farther, and have many other costs associated with farming. However, both growers made money, and both toil in the soil. The motto of Food Circles became the motto of the market and subsequently the venders: buy your produce from a face you can see and a farm you can visit. And the two types of farmers, urban & rural, primarily white and black, have one thing they can claim in common - they grow good food and can tell you just what went into each tomato and leaf of lettuce. For this the customers of the Market also learn about rural families and their special breed of troubles - we call that community development when we're writing grants, and we call it just getting along when money's not an issue.

So should community gardeners sell side by side with professional farmers? Not only should they, but urban - even rural - markets should do more to encourage community gardeners to sell produce. Not only do cg's provide more locally (therefore fresher) produce into a food system, but community gardeners also share in the environmental rewards as well as economic rewards of their labor.

Someone asked about theft - the single concern that Kansas City Community Gardens has regarding publicizing that the big vacant lot has market-quality produce is in deterring theft. So when we had the t.v. cameras down to the Market on opening day and they wanted to also shoot a shot of one of the growers bent over her greens, well we made the cameraman shoot at an angle so as not to identify the garden geographically. But since so many people don't know that food comes from a garden, and since french fries don't grow on the vine, we figure there's not much trouble that a little p.r. would add much to anyway.

Hope this answers any questions, or better yet eases your mind about market gardening,

Tom Kerr
Food Circles Networking Project - Kansas City
University of Missouri Outreach and Extension
2700 E. 18th Street, Suite 240
Kansas City, MO 64127
tel: (816) 482-5888