Re: selling produce from gardens

  • Subject: Re: [cg] selling produce from gardens
  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower@snip.net>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 07:35:28 -0400

Soleil wrote:

> We have no site yet, but is it an
>issue if some CG harvested produce would be sold?

It shouldn't be.  Anyone who actually knows anything about farming knows
that the profit margins are so slim that if anyone actually makes a Alan
Greenspan recognized profit (after figuring in one's labor, supplies, etc.),
they should be wildly ecouraged to teach everyone else!

>     Personally, one of the reasons I want a CG in our community is to
>support families in becoming self sufficient and self reliant. Growing one's
>own food and selling the rest is an excellent way to supplement incomes. A
>great teaching tool for children as well, if this were to be a school
>project. Also, I feel it important to support small farmers, the farmer's
>markets, and sustainable living in general. Community Gardening can do all
>this, and more. In fact, I think of CGing as a possible springboard for
>anyone who eventually wants to market garden, just to try it out.

This paragraph puts it together exactly. Just whip it out if anyone starts
to express "concerns" about so-called "profits in farming."

>     I'm wondering if there needs to be more stringent rules/controls on
>participants if there is gardening for profit going on in a CG.

Absolutely not.  Gardening is hard work -- by golly, if folks stick to it
and actually make money at it, they should be *encouraged*>

>For example,
>are there problems with theft?

We've talked about theft on this list -- if your garden is embraced by the
community, theft just doesn't happen as often.

>     Also, what are the specifics? If, say I grew straw flowers in my plot,
>then used them for crafts which I then sold at a Christmas Bazaar for my own
>profit, would that count?

Bother counting.  Ask my Bronze Medal (Best of Division) Harvest Show
gardener about how time-consuming it was to grow her own dried flowers for
crafts -- then actually make the crafts.  It's *work*.

At my community garden, I sell the garlic I produce, plus dried goods --
tomatoes, paprika powder, etc.  I don't come anywhere NEAR making a "profit"
even though I have an excellent product.  Other folks do the dried flowers
for crafts stuff.  Let your gardeners do what they want -- and if anyone
squals about "profits", go through Economies 101 with them.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of