Re: But what about Slugs?

  • Subject: [cg] Re: But what about Slugs?
  • From: steveshome@juno.com
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 07:33:18 -0700

I garden in an area not known for serious slug/snail problems but I use
lots of mulch and these critters love those accommodations. They can make
short work of small seedlings and transplants.

I pay close attention to these small plants and at the first sign of slug
damage - I spray them. Both pyrethrum/rotenone and insecticidal soap seem
to be effective. If it rains or I irrigate, I may need to spray again.

What I think is happening is that the slugs don't appreciate this flavor
in their food. When they slime out from under the covering of mulch
during the evening, they head off to find some other plants to munch.
Hopefully, the weeds on the perimeter provide some attraction. Now maybe
if I sprayed those plants with beer . . .

Steve Smoot
Spokane Farmers' Market Association