RE: lease for community garden space

  • Subject: RE: [cg] lease for community garden space
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 16:03:08 -0400

Karen,

Similarly, I can send you a copy of the lease that the Clinton Community
Garden, http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org has with the Parks Dept, City
of New York ( the first NYC community garden to be transferred to Parks)
with enough clauses to warm the heart of any bureaucrat, or real estate
attorney,  anywhere. Please send me your fax number and a phone so I can
send it to you. You will have to load about 20 pages on your fax machine.

FYI: The upside of this NYC Parks lease agreement is that it demands a high
level of accountablity, organization and performance from the Clinton
Community Garden's - volunteer steering committee and membership on behalf
of the community as a whole - the "community" side of community gardening.
The bar has been set high and we're pleased to know that our group of
volunteers have exceeded expectations in a town that bulldozes community
gardens with impunity.

For your attorney, if you need it, I can photocopy and mail you a copy of
the attached study:

"Covered Ground: A Summary of Eight Contracts for New York City Parks and
Public Spaces" - Parks Council - April 1998.

This study compares the contracts of:

Central Park Conservancy, for Central Park, Manhattan, 1998
American Golf, for six municipal golf courses, 1984
Eagle Golf, for Van Cortlandt Golf Course, Bronx 1984
Prospect Park Alliance, for the Prospect Park Carousel, Brooklyn, 1989
Bryan Park Restoration Corporation, for Bryant Park, Manhattan, 1983
Southern Queens Park Association for Roy Wilkins Park, Queens, 1993
Clinton Community Garden, Manhattan, 1995
34th Street Partnership, for Herald and Greely Squares, Manhattan, 1997

Due to a puzzling decision by the ACGA's NYC organizing committee, the
Clinton Community Garden has not been included on the itinerary of the NYC
ACGA conventions garden tour during the upcoming convention in July.

I will, however,  be speaking briefly at the conference. Please let me know
at the conference or via e-mail  if you are interested in visiting with us.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman