NYC ACGA Garden Tours

  • Subject: [cg] NYC ACGA Garden Tours
  • From: Grow19@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:41:20 EDT

Who knows what the reasons are.  There are SO, SO many gardens in NY and they
may have any # of ideas.

My recommendations:
1.For gardens like Clinton, it is very very easy for you to go visit, perhaps
not to get inside if there aren't open hours, but to find, to feel
comfortable in the neighborhood, etc.  Perhaps is would be helpful for ACGA
to make available a written directory (quite the formidible task in itself)
of gardens that people can visit on their own.

2.It would be good for the tours to be sure to include gardens that are
interesting and valuable to see and are either hard to get to or are in
neighborhoods that are less likely for people to go to on their own -- either
because they are far flung or a bit scary (i know this is completely
dependent on what you are used to, but face it, some parts of NY are less
comfortable for 'tourists' than others)

3.I would suggest that ACGA include in the 'directory' the public gardens --
all of them -- and leave all of them off the tours.  Over the years, I have
been most intersted in seeing gardens that demonstrate the involvement of
neighborhood people, that demonstrate interesting structures and garden art
(so much of this in NY!), that solve problems, that are multi-ethnic, etc.
In the same way, I have really disappointed with tours that have taken up
time at 'the lovely local botanic garden' that I could easily find in a
tourist guide and go to on my own.  I take the tours to help me with my work.

4.Given the likelihood that lots of people attending the NY conference are
going to be eager to see lots of gardens, perhaps various local folks could
stand hosting additional post-conference tours over several days.  Easy for
me to say - I won't be an exhausted New Yorker who just survived running a
conference.  As a visitor, I would likely gladly sign up for tours of gardens
for a whole week!  Gardens in NY are really really inspirational.  I'd even
pay for these tours.

Judy Tiger
Washington DC