Re: NYC ACGA Garden Tours

  • Subject: Re: [cg] NYC ACGA Garden Tours
  • From: Lenny Librizzi <plantlot@rcn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:41:42 -0400

Judy,
Bless you for getting beyond the conspiracy against Clinton Community Garden Theory which I am sure that Adam did
not mean to insinuate and I hope that the others who have weighed in on this issue will not feel is the case. Clinton is a
fine example of one model of what a community garden can be. There are many others. At least 750 in NYC.
Much of what Judy said was the thinking behind which gardens will be on the tours, ie: gardens in the Bronx and
Brooklyn which are harder to get to and in neighborhoods that visitors to New York City NEVER! see. There will also be
workshops offered at one of the sites that each tour will visit. All of this took lots of planning and an attempt was made to
offer a wide variety of tours and workshops.
Clinton happens to be in Midtown Manhattan, close to the theatre district and Times square, shopping etc. It is also one
of very few gardens in the area, in an area where you could be stuck in traffic on a bus just going a few blocks and 2
stops on the express train from Columbia University where the conference will be held. People could visit at any time
before, during, or after the conference. If people would rather see Clinton and midtown during the designated tour time
they are welcome to do that. No one is being forced to do anything against their will. Adam or one of his gardeners could
meet you and show you the Clinton Community garden. Adam will also be leading a workshop in a 2 hour time slot Friday
from 2:15 - 4:15 with one other presenter. Adam's part of the workshop will be 1 hour and will focus on Clinton.
As far as maps of where the gardens are, NYC has a map based website that shows all of the community gardens. You
can search for gardens by name, neighborhood, zip code, borough or key word. Each garden has a page with
additional information, some have photos and some have links to the garden's website, if they have one. You can also
print out maps that are formatted fo  8 1/2 X 11 inches. Visit at:
http://www.cmap.nypirg.org/CENYC/cenycmapsearch.asp?view=default
There will be a computer terminal set up at the conference for folks to look up gardens on this web site.
I am working on producing some kind of handout map or maps, which is a difficult task because of the large number of
gardens and the large area that they are spread across.
I hope to see you all here.
Lenny