RE: university gardens

David,
The famous garden/gardening program that I know of ( outside of your world
famous Eagle Heights community Garden) is the Agroecology program at the
University of California Santa Cruz that was founded by Alan Chadwick.
http://zzyx.ucsc.edu/casfs/brochure98.html

I have never been there nor do I know how it currently is operated. Great
luck. When your paper is finished, maybe I can use the information that
you've accumulated to convince college near me to have community gardens.

Happy gardening!
Adam