Community Organizer Job Description

  • Subject: [cg] Community Organizer Job Description
  • From: "Dawson, Teva L." <TLDawson@ci.des-moines.ia.us>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 11:05:37 -0500

To experienced programs growing community through gardens~

The Des Moines Community Gardening Coalition, a program of the Des Moines
Parks Department, is in the process of developing a long-range plan.  Part
of the plan includes strengthening our community development component.
Currently we are good as helping groups access resources, etc. but recognize
the greater need to aid our community garden's efforts towards building
gardens that are sustainable and involve a diverse group of individuals.
Our gardens are building places for people to garden but could deepen their
benefits in the community if the garden also serves as a community building

Towards this goal, we are looking to hire a community organizer or
"community outreach" staff.  In preparing materials for fundraising, I need
some sample job descriptions.  If you don't have a formal job description,
please reply with some notes as to how a position like this should be
defined.  Please keep in mind that ultimately we are working towards getting
this into the city budget.  So we need language appropriate for city
officials to understand and not be scared off by.

Thanks for your help!

Teva Dawson
Community Garden Coordinator
Des Moines Botanical Center