RE: Community Organizer Job Description

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Community Organizer Job Description
  • From: "Jack N. Hale" <jackh@knoxparks.org>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 14:30:14 -0400

Here's  job announcement/description we used recently.  It didn't generate
to person we wanted, so we are about to try again with a revised version
which we have not yet created.  Good luck to us all.

Jack N. Hale
Executive Director
Knox Parks Foundation
75 Laurel Street
Hartford, CT 06106
f 860/951-7244

Job Announcement
Community Organizer

The Community Organizer will bring Knox's wide range of programs to the
Hartford area community. He or she will be part of the program team,
including the Green Crew Coordinator and the Program Developer/Manager who
together will have general responsibility for all Knox programs as described
on the attached program listing.  The Community Organizer will work with
other team members and the grantwriter to identify and define fundable
program components and will assist the grantwriter in preparation of grant
proposals.  The Community Organizer reports to the Executive Director.

The primary role of the Community Organizer will be to develop and maintain
the networks of individuals and organizations necessary for the success of
Knox programs.  Key elements of these networks will include teachers,
community gardeners, community organizations, City of Hartford staff, human
services case managers, potential employers for Knox trainees, community
volunteers, and neighborhood leaders.  This is not an entry level position.

Valuable skills:
* Able to communicate effectively in person and in writing with a wide range
of people.
* Genuinely likes and gets along with a wide range of people
* Makes effective use of computers
* Effective phone manner
* Understands how to empower people to work together for the good of the
* Ability to communicate effectively in Spanish as well as English
* Presentable appearance
* Sensitivity to racial, ethnic and class differences as well as other
differences among people with whom he or she will work
* Ability to work effectively as part of a team
* Positive attitude about the potential of all sorts of people
* Able to communicate community organizing values and practices to team
members and incorporate them into program efforts

Important experience:
* Substantial community organizing experience
* College degree not required but relevant college work will be noted
* Knowledge of Hartford, its people, and the surrounding area

Compensation is competitive, including substantial benefits, and will be
based on skills and experience.
Knox expects to fill this position in April, 2001.

Interested parties should submit a resume and letter of interest to:
Personnel Committee
Knox Parks Foundation
75 Laurel Street
Hartford, CT 06106
e-mail info@knoxparks.org
fax 860/951-7244

The Knox Parks Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.  All are
encouraged to apply.

Program Initiatives of the Knox Parks Foundation

The Knox Parks Foundation is a 35-year-old non-profit organization based in
Hartford, Connecticut.  Its aim is to improve life in the city and
surrounding area through horticulture. Recent dramatic shifts in the
Hartford program environment have led to serious re-examination of  Knox
programs and operations.  These shifts include:
* Radical refocusing of the Hartford Public Schools away from hands-on
experiential education and toward highly regimented test-oriented teaching.
* Abandonment of hundreds of residential properties in the city leading
subsequently to demolition and an explosive increase in vacant land.
* Rapid shifts of population out of and between neighborhoods, destabilizing
clientele of such programs as community gardens.
* Welfare reform leading to a significant reducation in clientele for job
training programs and reduced resources for clients who wish to go through
* Increased emphasis on programs for youth in the city, in particular the
recent $28 million Youth Opportunity Grant, but including growth of
community service programs associated with area schools.
* Increased concern on the part of public officials and neighborhood leaders
for the city's physical appearance and condition.

The Knox board and staff recently completed a strategic plan that builds
upon a history of successful and diverse programs, enhancing them and adding
some new initiatives that respond to the changes outlined above.  The
following is a general description of these program areas.

Green Crew - a small crew carries out beautification projects throughout the
	Initiatives - develop full scale youth conservation corps (below)

Community Gardens - Knox maintains 15 community garden sites throughout the
	Initiatives - add new gardens, strengthen organizations at gardens, improve
productivity and appearance

Hartford Blooms - places and maintains 1000 planters throughout the city
each year.
	Initiatives - improve impact and efficiency of program.  Enlist and
organize greater volunteer involvement

Urban Greens - youth entrepreneurship program.  High school students produce
and market produce to area restaurants.  Includes community service
	Initiatives - involve more students, enhance educational components,
increase self-reliance of students

Job training - assists welfare recipients in finding appropriate entry level
green industry jobs.
	Initiatives - Expand to include certificate program in more advanced job

Youth Conservation Corps - out-of-school youth will develop marketable job
skills while improving the appearance and productivity of city green space
and providing a catalyst for city-wide volunteer efforts

Horticulture field trips for school children - successful Knox horticultural
endeavors will become destinations for elementary school students seeking
unique educational opportunities

Urban Horticulture Education Center - Knox headquarter building, grounds,
and greenhouses will become educational resource and center for
horticultural collaboration for Hartford and the surrounding area.

For more information about Knox and its programs contact:
Knox Parks Foundation
75 Laurel Street
Hartford, CT 06106
e-mail info@knoxparks.org