RE: garden mules

  • Subject: RE: [cg] garden mules
  • From: "Jim Call" <jimcall@casagarden.com>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 21:47:12 -0500

As mentioned earlier on this listserv, the CASA Community Garden is being
relocated out of a high-tech research park to an urban environment
(adjoining our botanical garden).  Although this is not the same situation
as locating a community garden in a downtown park area, it will be
surrounded by an urban environment.  This seems to be a good situation for
our community.  Please review our city's proposal (Huntsville, AL) on my web

Please note         The pavilion has now been enlarged to 18' by 32' (small
office/storage area)
these changes       The CG restrooms will not be shared with the public.
The soccer facility
                      will have its own restrooms.

I received the city's proposed landscape design this past Monday. It can be
view at...

This is a community garden project operated totally by volunteers for a 501
c(3) organization. This proposal originates from a city govt. It will be
relocated to public land.  Actually, the land is owned by Redstone Arsenal
(a military base).  We will have a 99 year lease.  Our city and county
governments will provide part of the funding.  CASA will have to raise
funding as well.  Our goal is to relocate this garden for a spring planting
in its new location. This garden project will be managed solely by CASA.
I'm sure we will have standards to uphold (being located next to a botanical
garden). The city will maintain certain aspects of the garden (i.e. turf,
irrigation system etc.)

I will begin to cover this transition on my web site once it is publicly
announced.  Our Mayor may want a "ground breaking" ceremony to kick it off.
Right now, this proposal is being passed around from one gov't department
(planning commission, etc.) to another.  It may take another month to have
it finalized.

This morning, I did an interview for a local TV station for a show called
"Digging in the Dirt with Dan".  I plan to send this small interview and
others to be shown in the upcoming ACGA conference.  I could not mention
this proposal on air at this time.

I wish I could be there at SLC. I hope you all have a great conference.

Oh yeah. We do have "Garden Mules" in our community garden.  These are last
year's mules (to be updated soon).

Please see...   http://www.casagarden.com/newsite/mules.html

                     Good Luck with your endeavor,  Jim Call, Volunteer
Garden Director