Re: garden mules

  • Subject: Re: [cg] garden mules
  • From: Sally McCabe <sallymcc@libertynet.org>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 11:56:34 -0400

Here in Philly we have several gardens on Park land, but each time one is
an isolated incident, so I can't cite any trends or protocols.  The first
one is a very large Asian garden in a very removed part of the park system,
and is to my knowledge totally self-governed.  Another is a completely
Parkified center-city rules-out-the-wazoo wrought-iron-fence slice out of
Kensington Gardens, governed by the Center City Residents Association. The
garden existed first, but got taken over by the City when the then Managing
Director decided he didn't like his apartment overlooking such a funky
thing as a community garden. Now there's a fancy garden and a huge
heavily-used park, so we can't complain too much.

The third, and best, situation is Libby's garden, so I'll hope she's out
there and picks up the rest of the story.

We also have gardens in community-built (and owned) parks, and
community-managed but city-owned  parks.

Sally

 please