Re: Gardening and Microenterprise

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Gardening and Microenterprise
  • From: scolli@columbus.rr.com
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 00:59:23 -0400

Hi!
In July 2002 there was a great conference held at Cleveland Botanical Garden
(Ohio) regarding youth garden entrepreneurial projects sponsored by CBG, the
National Gardening Association, and more.  Groups from all over the US
presented on fascinating youth entrepreneurial projects--from elemetary
school kids in Indiana growing basil and selling it to markets, to youth in
Atlanta growing peppers and producing "hot pepper vinegar" and loofah
sponges, to a CSA at a summer day program in Minnesota.  Also, Cleveland has
a very neat program for teens--they (The Green Team) grow a very beautiful
veggie, fruit & cut flower garden near downtown Cleveland.  They sell stuff
at the Farmer's Market, and produce a Salsa called "Ripe from Downtown".
(they have chickens too!).  Also, since you're from Washington...Seattle has
a great program called Seattle Youth Garden Works, where at risk and
homeless youth grow organic veggies near the U district, and sell at a
farmer's market, and more.  http://www.sygw.org/
The National Gardening Association has a great curriculum on youth garden
entreprenurial projects.  Get more information through www.kidsgardening.com

So many neat things going on...

Shelly

We are stardust *million year old carbon* we are golden *caught in the
devil's bargain* and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden .  .  .