A Mutually Benificial Opportunity

  • Subject: [cg] A Mutually Benificial Opportunity
  • From: "Michael S. Witty" mwitty@tampabay.rr.com
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 19:50:38 -0500

Adam,

I can understand Ms. Boyle's confusion for I did not notice an
indication of the sender either. It might have been due to the fact I
was blinded by the negativity of the communication. You made clear
that you felt Ms. Boyles main objective was monetary compensation and
that it bothered you but you suggested she reciprocate toward the same
to ACGA.

As this very same issue came up recently as I, can not afford to "pony
up" the membership fee. Betsy Johnson made it clear to me that the
organization operated on those dues but it was not crucial to
participation. For that I am grateful. So grateful that I am making it
a point make sure to those who participate in the Community Garden
program I am working to build in my community to know of the ACGA, of
their support in our venture and encourage membership. Mostly in
gratitude for the selfishness that this organization has shown to me,
then I see this.

While I do not know what you do for a living, I wonder if you are
aware of the expense involved in advertising and how hard it is to get
free publicity. While Ms. Boyle has not offered to fatten ACGA
coffers, what she is offering has definite value and requires nominal
effort to procure. I have also deduced through my research that a lack
of (Non-participating) public knowledge and support is one of the
greatest obstacles to successful community gardens. This is an
excellent way to overcome this hurdle.

As to the amazing Community Gardening programs in Canada and British
Columbia, I do not see how their being part of an American cable
documentary can or would benefit them. Maybe I am being to narrow
minded here, but if so I am not alone.

Ms. Boyle's intention here, as presented, is to provide mutual
benefit. Maybe that could be how you approach it. As the Community
Gardening program I am involved in is in it's infancy, we most likely
will not be able to take advantage of the wonderfully beneficial
opportunity she is offering, so that may be why I am feel so
frustrated with the negativity of your response. For my part I
apologize but hope I was able to provide you with a more positive
slant on this.

Working Together Toward a Greater Good,
Michael Witty
Pinellas County Community Garden Program Coordinator