Re: Re: Source of Response? Please clarify

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Re: Source of Response? Please clarify
  • From: simmonsm@bloomington.in.us
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 19:42:09 -0500 (EST)

Dear Adam and fellow members,

     While it is true that the ACGA, its list, and its website are
invaluable to the promotion of community gardening and deserving of
our financial support, it is also true that there is no obligation,
stated or implied, for anyone who wants to ask a question on the list
to join the ACGA.  We should answer those questions we can without
strong arming the questioners to pay dues.  Obviously we should
invite anyone who is interested in the work of the ACGA to join, but
we should not make that joining a quid pro quo for engaging in dialog
or asking a question through this medium.  That sends the wrong
message -- one of exclusion rather than of inclusion.

     In my job with a municipal parks and recreation department, I answer
questions every day from people from other cities and even from other
states who do not pay taxes to support our department.  I and my
department consider this service a valid use of my time, because
customer service does not stop at our city limits.  Any one of the
people whose questions I answer may one day be a resident of our
city, or there may be an occasion for me to call on one of them for
an answer to one of my questions, or our lives may never intersect
again.  Whatever the case may be, they know that their questions were
answered courteously and will have the impression that Bloomington,
Indiana is a friendly place to live (which it is).

     I praise the ACGA for its good work and for its value as a resource
at every opportunity.  I would like for the people I send to this
list for information to see the organization in the positive light in
which I have presented it.  If we are open and welcoming, those
people who share our interests and values will join.  Those who do
not join will still have a positive impression of the organization
which may be of great service down the road.

     Adam, your advocacy for the ACGA is laudable.  I hope that you will
continue to invite people to join, but I also hope that those
invitations may be couched in less confrontational language.  Let's
give people a positive impression of one of the most positive
organizations of which I am a member (dues paying, of course).

H. Michael Simmons

> Ms. Boyle,
> This response was written by me.  I'm a rank-and-file, dues paying  member
> of the ACGA like some of the folks who use this list. If you go to the
> American Community Gardening Association website,
> http://communitygarden.org , you can read more about the organization.
> Official statements by the board of the American Community Gardening
> listserv are usually addressed by its interim Executive Director, Betsy
> Johnson, or its President Gerard Lordahl.
> Anything I write appears over my signature.
> I think your confusion may have arisen from my rather direct questioning
> of the film project coordinator and my blunt suggestion that they pony up
> a membership - cheap as it is, which includes a subscription this cycle to
> "Organic Gardening,"  to the organization.
> In fact, Ms. Boyle, if you are a community gardener, I would very strongly
> suggest that you too should please go to the ACGA website, read through
> the various pages and join as well. It is the best way I know of
> supporting community gardening in the United States and Canada,
> Best wishes,
> Adam Honigman
> Paid-up ACGA member
>>> 2. Los Angeles
>>> 3. Portland, Oregon
>>> 4. Santa Fe, Taos area
>>> 5. Austin, Texas
>>> 6. Denver, Colorado
>>> 7. Chicago, IL,
>>> 8. Kansas City, MO
>>> 9. Atlanta, Georgia
>>> 10. Sarasota Florida
>>> 11. Charleston, South Carolina region
>>> 12. Washington, DC