Re: Free Grow Lights from a non-traditional source

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Free Grow Lights from a non-traditional source
  • From: "Mike McGrath" MikeMcG@PTD.net
  • Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 14:39:22 -0500

Great idea, A--but alas even with such cleverly recycled items, there is no free lunch---eh, seedlings.
Real (high intensity) Gro lights ARE the Bee's Knees. I used them for years when ORGANIC GARDENING exhibited in the Philly Flower Show--and Rodale was paying my greenhouse bills. And thereby hangs the tale.
The (astronomical) cost of running those multi hundred and thousand watt powerhouses (without having a $200 an ounce product emerge to pay the bills) is one huge drawback.
The other is HEAT. Those suckers gave off so much I didn't need to otherwise heat my greenhouse--just put a fan up there to circulate it down. How hot are they? I have fond memories of steam pouring out the roof vent, often open on a bitter January day.
Thus it wouldn't be safe for the kiddos--and it might bankrupt the poor school!
----Scrooge McG
----- Original Message ----- From: <adam36055@aol.com>