Re: RE: Compost.

Hi Keith,
I agree with Adam. You should be able to find lots of help out in the LA
basin. One of the 'biggies' in large scale composting works there, Roger
Haug, at Haug Engineers in Torrance. I have a phone and fax of 310-378-3155.
Now, there are plenty of issues about using biosolid-based composts on
veggies and in community gardens (in spite of some very worthwhile uses for
such composts, I don't use them or recommend them for schools and community
veggie gardens). Haug did his work at that 'macrocomposter' level. However,
he knows his stuff (if he is still around) and there are yard waste
composting facilities all around the area. Yard waste compost is fine, imho.
I'd also check over at Cal Poly Pomona, especially their international
agriculture development program. There's lots the international
ag/intermediate tech folks can teach community gardeners (and vice versa-this
from a returned Peace Corps garden teacher). LA is so vast. You are sure to
find like minded folks, even there in the Valley. Last idea-there is a strong
tradition of organic farming over in the Riverside area, especially around
Loma Linda. I'd ask there, too. Good luck in LALA land.
Don Boekelheide
Charlotte NC USA
(who learned much about gardening from Mr. Wood, at Hughes Jr. High just
across from Pierce College in Woodland Hills, back in the days when orange
groves grew along Oxnard Street-come to think of it, check at Pierce, too,
which last time I visited a couple years ago had livestock units).