RE: garden in anniston, AL

Joey,

1) What you need is some pro-bono legal help to set up your group as a
not-for-profit corporation under the laws of Alabama. Under the federal tax
system, what you want to become is known as a 501 (c) (3) corporation.
Contact your nearest Unversity with a good law school. Most law schools have
legal clinics where they do pro-bono work for indigents and not-for-profit
start ups. Maybe one of you knows a local law firm that would take your
incorporation as a not-for-profit charitable organization as one of their
pro-bono cases ( many law firms have that degree of social responsibility.
The telephone book is a mighty resource. You might want to give a hollar to
the Trust for Public Land in your part of the world for leads on attorneys:

TPL Southeastern Region
 Southeast Regional Office Address
Southeast Regional Office
306 North Monroe
Tallahassee, FL 32301
(850) 222-7911
FAX (850) 222-3133

link :http://www.tpl.org/tier2_rl.cfm?folder_id=211

2) Go to the elected official ( or the aide - i.e. the one who does the
work)  closest to the area that your garden is sited with some of the folks
who helped elect him, worked on his campaign, knows his momma from church.
It might be worth while to have letters from clergymen and the organizations
that would potentially benefit from your project.  Have your plan laid out
on paper, the names of the volunteers, the nice person who is willing to
lend you the land, everything. It might be a good idea to have an informal
conversation with some of your local journalists, radio and college stations
about your project. Get one of them to come along as a member of your
working group.

When you meet with the elected ( or most likely aide) show him/her all that
all of your ducks are in a row.  Tell him that you'd really like whatever
advice he could give you in finding a pro-bono lawyer, some low-cost
insurance, etc. You're not ASKING for anything except advice, a steer to
some free legal aid and perhaps a good word to the local agricultural
extension for the group.  Tell him that he has an invitation ( i.e. photo
opportunity) at the garden opening.

Honestly, this is the kind of private, non-governmentally funded social
service project that legislators adore these days - thousand dots of light
sorta thing.  I wouldn't be surprised if you walk out of his door with some
good leads to funding.

Best wishes,

A Good 'ol boy and gardener  from NYC's Hell's Kitchen,

Adam Honigman