RE: Greetings from Baltimore City!

Thom:

Here are a few useful websites:

The American Community Gardening Association. Go through the entire site and
links. There is some very useful stuff here.

http://www.communitygarden.org/

Leo Horrigan at Johns Hopkins does interesting work with greening in that
city, maybe he can give you some leads:

http://www.jhsph.edu/environment/CLF_Initiatives/CLFurbanag.html

Baltimore Commuinty resources

http://www.communityresources.org/index.shtml

I know that the Maryland Agricultural Extension did some interesting work on
Duncan Street in Baltimore lwith a new community garden installed by
community residents and supervised by a Maryland Extension horticulturist.
Once a vacant lot, this little plot of land - surrounded by row houses - is
just one of 15 community gardens in a program designed to help Baltimore
urban gardeners turn city-owned vacant lots from eyesores into productive
community gardens.

Here are some book ideas from the City Farmer website:

           These two are old standards on HOW TO.

          The Community Garden Book
          "New Directions for Creating and Managing Neighbourhood Food
Gardens in Your
          Town"
          by Larry Sommers, 1984, (121 pgs.)
          Gardens for All/The National Association of Gardening
          180 Flynn Avenue, Burlington, VT 05401
          (802) 863-1308

          A Handbook of Community Gardening
          by Boston Urban Gardeners
          edited by Susan Naimark, 1982 (180 pgs.)
          Charles Scribner's Sons, New York

     There are also books that look at the WHY of community gardening. This
is a new one from the US.

          A Patch of Eden "America's Inner City Gardeners"
          by H. Patricia Hynes
          Chelsea Green Publishing Co.,
          Phone (802) 295-6300
          1996, (185 pgs.)

Here is an agricultural library near you:

Alternative Farming Systems Information Center
     National Agriculture Library, Room 304
     10301 Baltimore Ave.
     Beltsville MD 20705-2351
     Ph: 301-504-6559
     Fax 301-504-6409
     afsic@nal.usda.gov
     National Agriculture Library

Good luck, let us know how it works out,

Adam Honigman