Re: Graduate Studies of Community Gardens

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Graduate Studies of Community Gardens
  • From: Daniel Winterbottom nina@u.washington.edu
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 13:56:42 -0800 (PST)

Jacqueline:  I an a faculty member at he University of Washington and
several years ago did an exensive study of Castia gardens, a type of
community garden based on traditional Puerto Rican Community gardens. I
continue to work with many gardens here in Seattle and have been coninuing
to study cultural expression through community gardening.  There are many
others who have written on CG's but I don't know of a program focused on
them. Sam Bass Warner, a professor emeritis at Brandis U has authored sevral articles and a book on community gardens.
There are also countless thesises done on various aspects of community gardens
and Amanda Edwards at ACGA has been compiling most of the research to
date.

All the best Daniel

Associate Professor
Daniel Winterbottom Department of Landscape Architecture
University of Washington
Box 355734
Seattle, WA 98195-5734
Phone 206 616 1876