RE: Budgets for Community Gardens

Check out the ACGA website ( http://www.communitygarden.org) and links. This
webserve has many useful discussions about this issue in it's archives:
(http:/community_garden@mallorn.com) .

Charitable contributions are always great, but neighbors who are willing to
commit hours, work, and sell t-shirts are even better. I am a fan of
organizing a community garden as a 501(c)3 corporation from the beginning.
Creating  a 501(c)(3) corporation is something any competent attorney can do
for you. The Clinton Community Garden in NYC (
http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org )was required to incorporate as a 501
(c) (3) as part of it's lease agreement with the City of NYC as well as to
purchase a a garden insurance policy. The Trust for Public Land (
http://www.igc.apc.org/tpl/ ) can give you ideas on process and connect you
with the Land Trust servicing your area.

Get the backs, get the people and some basic tools. You can get elaborate
later. COMMUNITY is the operative word in community gardening.

Good luck,