Re: Small fundraising projects for community gardens

Hi Teva!

The ideas you mentioned are great, thank you!

I'd like to suggest some slightly different directions for fund raising/outreach
that we use in the community garden that I'm affiliated with here in Winnipeg

1) We sell tickets to an annual garden tour of private gardens with a different
theme every year.

2) We publicize & charge tuition for workshops on stuff like "safe canning",
"discrete composting for the burbs", "plant starting" etc.

3) We also offer workshops on "scratch" cooking using garden/fresh produce.

 You will notice that all of the above activities market the "knowledge" of the
community garden rather than "product" of the community garden & help transfer
lost arts to appreciative collaborators. Perhaps none of the above will be
applicable for your situation, but you can adapt the 'knowledge' based theme to
your particular strengths?

tldawson@ci.des-moines.ia.us on 07/25/2000 01:26:53 PM

Please respond to tldawson@ci.des-moines.ia.us
 To:      community_garden@mallorn.com
 Subject: [cg] Small fundraising projects for community

We are in the process of putting together a tip sheet on fundraising
projects for individual community gardens (gardens at schools, shelters,
neighborhood associations, etc.).  We started to brainstorm projects such as
selling unique produce at a farmer's market or selling cut flowers.  We
thought about crafts made from the garden but weren't sure what type of
crafts might sell well.  We also researched what perennial fruit crops might
be fairly easy to maintain and easy to sell.  Is there anything we should
caution groups about such as strict health codes for making and selling

Any thoughts on any of the above ideas?

Teva Dawson
Des Moines Botanical Center
909 East River Drive