RE: information query

  • Subject: RE: [cg] information query
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 10:04:38 -0400

Marianne journalist person,

Please visit the Clinton Community Garden website as a first stop:

At the top of our links page is a New Age Journal article which was written by a garden writer who took the time to listen and got it right, Cynthia Van Hazinga. Ms. Hazinga interviewed people in our movement from all over the country - this article should give you a place to start. Continuing on, you should contact Green Thumb, Green Guerillas, Restoration, Save Gardens, the Trust for Public Land and of course the American Community Gardening Association via their website links. Click and read -

A great lead-in for your article: Show up at NYC's City Hall in Manhattan at 12:00 noon on Wednesday August 1st. Many great interviewees will be there. Garden Celebrations will be there ( the nifty people in the flower suits) Bring your camera!

More Gardens! Coalition invites you to attend the PRESS CONFERENCE AND

PRESENTATION OF PEOPLE'S REFERENDUM TO PROTECT OVER 400 OF OUR CITY'S

THREATENED COMMUNITY GARDENS!

AUGUST 1ST, NOON, CITY HALL STEPS

to be part of pageant meet at 11AM, call 212-533-8019 for details

ATTN: ENDORSEMENT REQUEST - More Gardens!

Dear Community Garden Supporter,

Gardeners and community activists all around the city are currently gathering

signatures in an attempt to place on the November ballot a people's

referendum which would, if it wins a majority of the vote, return control of

New York City's community gardens to the Parks Department. Enclosed with

this letter you will find a position letter which articulates our vision for

a greener and more livable city, and which lays out with greater specificity

the reasons why we are seeking to transfer control of the gardens to the

Parks Department. At this time we are asking individuals and organizations

to endorse this position letter.

The preservation of New York City's community gardens is widely supported by

individuals and organizations from every sector of society. Housing advocacy

groups such as the Metropolitan Council on Housing, for instance, have

rejected the fallacy of "gardens versus housing" and clearly stated the need

for BOTH low-income housing AND gardens in the development of livable

communities. We therefore ask that you read the letter and seriously

consider formally endorsing it.

Please get back to us as soon as possible with your decision, as this is an

urgent issue and we need to have our endorsements on record now. If you are

willing to lend your support and formally endorse our issue, please sign on!

Send a return e-mail and give a telephone call to let us know of your support

as soon as possible, then please follow up with a letter.

Thank you for your time.

-More Gardens! Coalition

212-533 8019

79 Clinton Street #17