Summer Reading: Community Garden Children's Books

  • Subject: [cg] Summer Reading: Community Garden Children's Books
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 13:01:46 -0400

Friends,

I've tutored kids in reading for about (>>gasp!<<)  thirty years now and
periodically go to the children's collection at Donnell branch of the New
York Public library.

Located across the street from the Museum of Modern Art, the Donnell Branch
of the NYPL is also the permanent home of  the stuffed animals that A.A.
Milne's "Winnie  the Pooh" books were based on:
http://www.nypl.org/branch/kids/pooh/winnie.html . These are real toys,
almost loved to death by A. A. Milne's son Christopher Robin Milne.

Having done as search for books supportive of the many flavors of family
combinations & or uncoupling in the library, I looked, for a lark for
community garden based children's books:

These may be old hat to some of you, but are new to me:

1) "Wanda's Roses", by Pat Brisson, Illustrated by MaryAnn Coca-Leffler,
Honesdale, Pennsylvania: Boyd's Mill Press, Inc.- Carolina House, 1994, 32
pps.
ISBN: 1-563970136-4 ; Library of Congress Catalog Number: 93-72916

Wanda discovers a thornbush growing in an empty lot and gets neighborhood
folks involved in clearing up the lot and creating a community garden.
Profusely illustrated.

2) "The Garden of Happiness" by Erika Tamar, Illustrated by Barbara Lambase
New York, London, San Diego: Harcourt Brace & Company, 1995, 33pps.
ISBN: 0-15-230582-3

Marisol and her neighbors turn a vacant New York City lot into a lush
community garden. One very large Sunflower is featured.
The imaginary site for this garden is about 10 blocks away from my office.

Happy reading ( to kids , though I like reading kids books too)

Adam Honigman