Re: Smoking / Burmuda Grass

David wrote:

Tobacco use in a garden can spread tobacco virus to members of the Solanum
family, tomatoes, egplants, peppers, potatoes, etc.
This is the reason we don't allow smoking at my community garden -- especially because I grow out rare Solanums for Seed Savers Exchange. Many of the things I grow AREN'T resistant to tobacco mosaic virus (or we don't know and I really don't want to lose rare plants finding out) so a smoker could wipe out significant crops and we'd lose the seed.

If folks are growing heirloom tomatoes, they have a legitimate reason to ask others not to smoke around growing areas. If you *must* have a place for folks to smoke, make sure that it is downwind of crop areas and preferably with a nice hedge or tall flowering plants around it that will keep the smoke out of growing areas.

I second solarizing the Bermuda grass -- use this nasty heat and humidity to your advantage!

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of