Smoking

  • Subject: [cg] Smoking
  • From: Jeneva Storme <jenevastorme@yahoo.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 09:49:04 -0400 (EDT)

2) This year the issue of smoking has arisen.  A very
strong willed gardener wants the garden to be
smoke-free, not only because of not wanting to be
exposed to second-hand smoke, but also because she
believes it is contrary to have a space that promotes
health with one that allows smoking.  I am bringing it
to the group for a group decision, and am interested
in how other gardens handled this issue.  I am
concerned about losing fledging gardeners if we go
completely non-smoking, and believe we can easily work
out a regime for noone to be exposed to second hand
smoke.
============================

One way to discourage smoking may be to point out to
gardeners that all members of the nightshade family --
tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, potatoes -- are related
to tobacco, and some, if not all, are susceptible to
the tobacco mosaic virus, which can be transmitted
through tobacco smoke and ashes.  So, it's not only
the health of the gardeners that is at stake here, but
the health of the garden itself.  Just a thought, good
luck with your campaign.

Shade and Sweet Water,
Jeneva Storme

=====
Greening West Broadway Coordinator
"Neighbourhood Solutions for Community Change"

West Broadway Development Corporation
640 Broadway, Winnipeg, MB  R3C 0X3
phone: 774-3534  fax: 779-2203
website: http://www.westbroadway.mb.ca