Annual ACGA "FOCG" Award

  • Subject: [cg] Annual ACGA "FOCG" Award
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:44:02 -0400

To the ACGA Board & General Membership,

Everybody  likes to get awards to add to their CVs. Politicians love to have
fancy named prizes to put on campaign literature - in a green debate ( who
is "greener" than an opponent) winning the 2001 American Community Gardening
Association "Friend of Community Gardening" Award ( "FOCG") with a fancy
citation suitable for framing would be - pace Martha Stewart - a very "good

Why such a good thing:

1) We could give politicians who sponsor special legislation to save or
recognize gardens as acceptable land uses a special "statesman prize."

2) Developers who create low income housing with community garden components
( either preserving them intact, incorporating them in the design of new
housing, creating new community gardens as part of low income housing
programs) would qualify. I actually know one developer who has created and
or preserved community gardens in Manhattan as part of his mission - I kid
you not.

3) Journalists and garden writers who write particularly nice, informative
articles about community gardening and the ACGA ( think the great piece
written by Cynthia Van Hazinga in the March April 2001 "New Age Journal"

4) We could award foundation funders who give the ACGA or community garden
programs big money FOCG awards.

5) Likewise, we could give long standing community garden/open space
advocacy groups FOCG awards.

6) We could create as special FOCG award for outstanding  ACGA members.

7) The nominating committee could have a lot of fun saying "FOCG" over and
over in the nominating process, "This is a truly outstanding "FOCG"
candidate..., etc" especially if adult beverages were consumed during the
plenary session.

Best wishes,

Adam Honigman