RE: Annual ACGA "FOCG" Award

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Annual ACGA "FOCG" Award
  • From: "Jack N. Hale" <jackh@knoxparks.org>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 09:29:35 -0400

ACGA used to make awards.  The bulk of them were done in conjunction with
the annual conference and featured in the Greening Review, but we also had a
process where ACGA members could request local awards as needed.  It usually
fell to one dedicated board member to run that process.  Nancy Allen was the
last I remember, when she was at P-Patch.  They were, as you suggest, "a
good thing."  Also, quite a while back (maybe 15 or 20 years), ACGA was
sponsored by Glad, the bag people, to make community garden awards,
recognizing excellent gardens.  Gardens would apply for the awards, board
members would make site visits, and awards were made on a regional basis.
It was a big deal - a fair amount of money involved.  Then, of course there
was the more recent collaboration with John Deere, which I see is coming
back around, to make awards to chilren's/youth gardens.  All sorts of
interesting opportunities, but we really need somebody with a PR head and a
lot of time to pull things together and make the most of them.
JH