RE: Garden Vandalism

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Garden Vandalism
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 17:39:38 -0400

Scott,

I'm a pro-fence community garden person and have difficulty of thinking of
an urban community garden without one.

In lieu of the fence, do you have a kind of vault/turn-off valve for all the
water that goes into the garden area? We have one at the Clinton Community
garden that we use to shut the water off in winter ( to keep the pipes from
freezing.) A kind of master cut-off valve under lock and key( certain key
garden types would have the key) might be the solution.

The other thing is to publicize this thing and let the neighbors know how
destructive this kind of behavior is. My guess is male adolescent, but ya
never know. Maybe the local cops might take a kind of minor interest in this
( the argument, "First it starts with flooding community gardens, then it
accelerates to armed robbery." or somethin')

Great luck. Hope you don't have a "floating council" form of city government
as well...

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman